"...warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. " I Thessalonians 5: 14-18

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 3

It's day 3 of no caffiene. If you have ever gone through any kind of withdrawal you know how I am feeling. I have had a painful headache all day. Makes it hard to focus on what's going on and even trying to engage in a conversation. Despite how I have been feeling it has been a good day though. I know I will get past these initial days of withdrawal and it will be worth it.

Today we had clinicals and then training so it was nice to have something other than the usual office day. Our training was a nice reminder of making sure we are taking care of ourselves not only as professionals in our job but also as individuals away from our job. We all talked about ways we relieve stress and take time for ourselves and one of my ways was blogging. I have found that blogging has been very therapeutic for me. Now granted, it means you guys are catching all my thoughts!! But it has been a nice journey and a nice way to unwind at the end of the day.

Something else we were reminded of at this training is that the clients we serve are individuals too. Sometimes it's easy to get into the swing of things and a routine and judge a person by the diagnosis you have given them rather than looking at the positives in that person's life and the events that have made that person who they are today. We should never think we are better than someone else. I work with people who are on probation and also with paroles, people who have been in prison. It's easy for us to think that we are better but we're not. I have to be reminded sometimes that these very people in my office need to feel like they are one of us, like they belong. They are already placed with a stereotype once entering the court system with a record that will follow them, so our clients need to see that not everyone is looking at them with the same light. They need to know that someone still has that hope that life doesn't just get worse from here. I like knowing that I can be that light for someone. Makes the job worth it.

And of course, my husband reminded me of the very same thing today. We were talking on the phone and I was telling him how I was still having headaches from not drinking caffiene and how I knew if I just drank a diet dew my headache would go away. James, being the humbling man that he his ;), reminded me that my clients go through that every day. They experience those withdrawal symptoms at a higher intensity and even stronger urge to use knowing it will make them feel better for the moment. I love him and how he always puts things in perspective. And while I know my client's go through these things, it's been a positive reminder for me coming off something as simple as caffiene. It's a reminder for me to be more empathetic towards my client and to meet them where they are on their road to recovery.

So what do I have the urge to do when I have headaches from no caffiene!!??? Eat!! Which reminds me! Virginia, here is your recipe :) James and I do like this recipe and I espcially like it because it's super easy to make. It's also from the Weight Watcher's cookbook and is only 5 points. It's 292 calories, 3 g fat, and 4 g fiber.

Baked Stuffed Potatoes with Ham and Cheese:

You will need: 4 (8 ounce) baking potatoes
1/3 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup diced lean deli ham
1 cup shredded fat free cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh chives

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. With a fork, prick the potatoes in several places. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes.
3. Wearing oven mitts, cut off and discard a thin slice from each potato. Scoop out the potato flesh, leaving a 1/4 inch wall. Transfer the flesh to a medium bowl and mash with the sour cream, salt, and pepper. Spoon the filling evenly back into the potato shells. Top the potatoes evenly with the ham and cheese.
4. Preheat the broiler. Return the potatoes to the baking sheet and broil until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with the chives.

Hope you enjoy the recipe!! I'm always looking for quick and easy recipes that are healthy. Trying to get the strength to follow through this evening with the dinner that was planned but I'm not sure how that will go. May have to be a quick dinner night instead. Now I am off to clean a little and get my mind off this headache!!

No comments:

Post a Comment