"...warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. " I Thessalonians 5: 14-18

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Being Uncomfortable

I read a facebook status today that I really liked. I have blogged on it before but it was a nice reminder for me today. I think God works like that. God uses our everyday life to remind us of those little things to direct us back to Him. It was a status that talked about living a comfortable life. I've blogged before how I felt I was currently living a comfortable life and realized that in order for my faith to grow I would have to step out of my comfort zone. So that has been on my mind tonight.

It's always exciting to try something new, yet scary at the same time. Sometimes it's necessary to do things out of fear. Sometimes our faith doesn't kick in until we are doing something that we have no idea how it will turn out. I know that when I am doing something that requires faith to get me through it's then I am really doing what God wants me to do. Not everything we do will require "being out of our comfort zone" but there should be times when we are taking those uncomfortable steps of faith. Another facebook status I read a while back that ties in to this is "what are you doing today that requires faith". That too was a reminder yet more like a slap in the face. What am I doing today that requires faith?? Really and honestly, not a whole lot! We live very comfortable lives that we plan out. We know how much money to make to pay our bills, we plan our grocery list so that we have food to eat, we make plans for vacations that we desire to take in order to get away from the every day norm, etc. But what are we doing that is out of the norm. How are we applying God's word to our every day life. Now don't get me wrong on this, I'm not saying that if you are not living out of your comfort zone then you are not living for God. But what I am saying is if we are comfortable day in and day out then maybe we need to reevaluate our purpose in life. I know I have to reevaluate regularly. I get very comfortable in what I do. But I have found in my moments of complete nervousness that it's after those moments that I have grown.

People are so different so what may be uncomfortable for one person may not be for another. Something that I really enjoy doing yet find that does not come naturally is being hospitable. Something as simple as having people over to my house can be stressful. I find that I have so much fun having people over but the part of preparing is nerve wrecking for me at times. And the more I look at my reasonings to why, I realize that it actually has nothing to do with having people over to my house. I find that I am very uncomfortable with the idea of having to cook for guests. I know that I can follow simple directions and recipes but I also know I am no chef!! While this may all seem very little in the light of how we would normally view taking leaps of faith for God, I know that it is part of everyday life for me that I am yet to be comfortable with. Something I had to learn was that I needed to not try to make new dishes or try to make things that were difficult to make. For me, the key is keeping it simple. And so having people over now is an absolute blast. We get to know people so much better when we have had them over to our home. And isn't that what it's all about? Getting to know people and sharing your life with them. Of course in our world, it's not always necessary to have them in our home since our world is becoming more and more virtual. Which is another positive to my blogging.

You will find in our home that we are very laid back. Sometimes I may not be the best host and have the nicest things to serve your food on but hopefully you will enjoy your time here and learn a little bit of what we are about. I find that sharing our life with others is so very important, weaknesses and all!! I know that I will grow in my area of hospitality as I get older but I do view it as something I am taking a step of faith on. Hopefully I am not the only one that struggles with this and if so, I know that God is there with me even in these little things. We all have those little things that we feel we should not be fearful in doing but yet we still are. Just know that it's okay and that is what faith is for.

1 comment:

  1. i am the same way...i get very stressed out over having a perfectly clean house and then worrying about my dog barking at people...I wish I had more people over. Maybe we should have you and your hubby over this summer after the insanity of school and my internship is over for a while. I'd love to meet your hubby :) We'll have to make plans :)

    ReplyDelete