"...warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. " I Thessalonians 5: 14-18

Sunday, April 18, 2010

When Times Are Difficult

I have had about 30 minutes of quiet time this morning. I figured it would be very important for me to do so since today would be a busy day. I had no intention of reading this passage this morning but in my search for something else I couldn't go past this passage when I came across it. In my quiet time this morning I read from Lamentations chapter 3, the message version. It was about someone who had given up on life altogether. We probably all know someone who has felt that way if it wasn't yourself. But I love the hope that is found in God. It reads as follows:

Lamentations 3:17-2: "I gave up on life altogether. I've forgotten what the good life is like. I said to myself, this is it. I'm finished. God is a lost cause. It's a good thing to hope for help from God. I'll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness, the taste of the ashes, the poison I've swallowed. I remember it all - oh, how well I remember - the feeling of hitting the bottom. But there's one other thing I remember, and remembering, I keep a grip on hope: God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up. They're created new every morning. How great your faithfulness!! I'm sticking with God ( I say it over and over). God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits, to the woman who diligently seeks. It's a good thing to quietly hope, quietly hope for help from God. It's a good thing when you're young to stick it out through the hard times. When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence. Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions: Wait for hope to appear. Don't run from trouble. Take it full-face. The worst is never the worst. Why? Because the Master won't ever walk out and fail to return. If he works severely, he also works tenderly. His stockpiles of loyal love are immense."

I normally would not have typed an entire passage but I just felt this passage needed to be. What a powerful passage!! I wish I knew about this passage before!! I love it. I love how it's written to where it takes you from the lowest point in this person's life and yet shows the hope this person still has. And it doesn't stop there, there are even directions on how to pray to God and how to make it through those difficult times in your life! What encouragement!! I love how the bible is applicable at all times. I love how you can look for encouragement and even rebuke in the bible at any stage in your life and you will find it. I am thankful that God inspired the writer's of the Bible in such a way that the bible never becomes outdated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment