"...warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. " I Thessalonians 5: 14-18

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Is It Date Night Yet?

I woke up today just really missing my husband. Even though we have not been apart other than for work, I missed him. We are finding it more and more difficult to make sure we get in our date nights. We both agreed last night we have got to do a better job of scheduling our date nights before other events take its place. We find ourselves having this conversation almost regularly. It’s so important that as a couple, and especially a couple with a child, that we do not forget who we are as just “James and Andrea”.

Riding to work the other morning I was listening to a Christian radio station and it was talking about marriage. It said one of the main reasons that some Christian marriages end in divorce is because couples are putting all of their efforts into the children and forgetting about each other. When couples no longer have their children to focus on, they realize they do not know the person in front of them. I think so many couples have the best of intentions in making sure they are being the best parents they can but forget that sometimes the best thing they can do is model to their children a healthy Christian marriage. I know for James and I, Madison is a huge part of us, and rightfully so. She is very special to us and such an amazing joy to have! But there has to be a middle ground. One of balance between time spent with the children and time spent alone with your spouse.

Having a child is such a wonderful thing, but you have to keep your priorities right. James and I both find it important that we model to Madison how a husband and wife should treat each other. So in my rambling tonight, I just want to make sure that you and your spouse take time for each other. James and I will very soon be planning a date night for just us. I woke up this morning and told him I was ready for a hot date! I am convinced I have the best husband in the world and I know that I am only blessed as much as I am because of God.

1 comment:

  1. At my age, this is probably the very best suggestion I could ever give a young couple with young children....Always, Always, make special time for each other, ALONE, away from family and children....DATE NIGHT has and will continue to be the "main ingredient" in saving many marriages, even Christian ones with the very best intentions....Thanks so much for sharing....hope you and James have a fantastic date!!!

    ReplyDelete